I am available for public speaking events and outreach activities. I’m also excited to jump on radio and TV shows to geek out about space science and physics, so if you have any inquiries, please send me an email on my contact page. I’ll look forward to hearing from you!
I’VE WRITTEN FOR:
- Astronomical Society of the Pacific – editor of Mercury Magazine (2017-current)
- HowStuffWorks – contributing space science writer (2017-current)
- SPACE.com – contributing space science writer (2017-current)
- Seeker – senior producer, editor, science writer, video host (2016-2017)
- Discovery News — senior producer, science writer, video host (2009-2016)
- Al Jazeera English — space op-ed (2011-2013)
- Christian Science Monitor — guest science writer (2010)
- Universe Today — space blogger (2007-2009)
- University of Waterloo: Unmasking a Monster, feature, April 10, 2019
- University of Waterloo: First image of black hole captured, press release, April 10, 2019
- University of Waterloo: Hotspot discovery proves Canadian astrophysicist’s black hole theory, press release, Oct. 31, 2018
VIDEO HOST SAMPLES:
VIDEO LOCATION PRODUCTION:
Credits: Producer/Narrator: Aneeta Akhurst; Co-Producer/Interviewer: Ian O’Neill; Camera/Director: Alex Gerhard
- talkSPORT live radio — The Two Mikes: Regular appearances. No archives available
- BBC Radio 5 Live — Up All Night: Regular appearances. No archives available
- China Radio International — Beyond Beijing: Regular appearances. June 28, 2012 (Chinese space ambitions) | May 20, 2011 (Shuttle Program) | May 14, 2010 (Alien life) | Jan. 8, 2010 (Space tourism) | Dec. 14, 2009 (Climate science)
- KCRW with Warren Olney (NPR): May 17, 2012 (SpaceX launch) | Sept. 2, 2011 (Space junk) | April 27, 2017 (Cassini’s ring dive)
- Monocle 24: No archives available
- Ph.D. Thesis: Quiescent Coronal Loops Heated By Turbulence, University of Wales, Aberystwyth, 2006. Download .PDF (6.4MB)
- Interplanetary Scintillation Observations of Stream Interaction Regions in the Solar Wind, Bisi, M. M.; Fallows, R. A.; Breen, A. R.; O’Neill, I. J., Sol. Phys., Vol 261, DOI: 10.1007/s11207-009-9471-1
- Promoting astronomy, solar system science and particle physics to the disengaged: Radio and online outreach, Wood, A. G.; Dunbar, S.; Dorrian, G.; Whittick, E. L.; O’Neill, I. J., European Planetary Science Congress 2009, held 14-18 September in Potsdam, Germany.
- Coronal loops heated by turbulence-driven Alfven waves — a two fluid model, I. O’Neill & X. Li, Astron. & Astrophys., 435, 1159, 2005. DOI: 10.1051/0004-6361:20041596. Download .PDF (1MB)
- Turbulent Alfvén Wave Driven Coronal Loops, I. O’Neill & X. Li, Proceedings of ‘SOHO 15 Workshop – Coronal Heating.’ 6-9 September 2004, St. Andrews, Scotland, UK (ESA SP-575).
- Transition Region and Coronal Loops Heated by Turbulence, X. Li, I. O’Neill & S. R. Habbal, Proceedings of ‘SOHO 13 – Waves, Oscillations and Small-Scale Transient Events in the Solar Atmosphere: A Joint View from SOHO and TRACE’. 29 September – 3 October 2003, Palma de Mallorca, Balearic Islands, Spain (ESA SP-547, January 2004).
- Discovery Channel — Documentary — “2012 Apocalypse”
- Showtime — Penn & Teller: Bullshit! — “The Apocalypse”
- RT America
- Al Jazeera English
- FOX News